This job is no longer available
The Grain and Feed Trade Association ("Gafta") is looking to recruit a responsible and pro-active lawyer in a newly-created Head of Legal position. This is an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to make the role their own and to build a rewarding career with an internationally renowned Trade Association.
Reporting to the Director General, the Head of Legal will form an integral part of a tight team based in Gafta's central London office. Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing, maintaining and updating the directory of Gafta standard form commercial contracts (of which there are in excess of 80);
- Discussing and agreeing any appropriate amendments to Gafta standard form commercial contracts, on a case-by-case basis;
- Advising the Association and its Committees on the terms of Gafta Contracts and Rules;
- Ensuring Gafta provides an effective and efficient arbitration service for the international trade;
- Reviewing all Arbitration awards for legal compliance;
- Acting as legal assessor and award writer for complex Gafta arbitration hearings;
- Providing information on points of law, as requested, for Gafta arbitration hearings;
- Developing and delivering training and legal risk management initiatives to assist senior management in strategically managing legal risks (e.g. online training modules, business training, legal updates, etc);
- Developing and implementing appropriate policies and procedures (e.g. Data Protection, HR, AML, ABC, etc);
- Supporting the Head of Training by providing guest lectures, materials, and marking on key legal topics for Gafta training courses;
- Supporting the Head of Training to ensure the pool of GAFTA-qualified arbitrators are compliant with Gafta rules and CPD requirements
The ideal candidate will be a qualified Solicitor or Barrister and may have a minimum of 6 years’ PQE, together with the following skills/attributes:
- experience with a variety of commercial transactions;
- knowledge of arbitration law and practice;
- an excellent command of written English, particularly in relation to the drafting of legal awards and opinions
- demonstrated leadership skills;
- an ability to communicate effectively at all levels to legal and non-legal professionals alike;
- strong commercial/business acumen;
- a background in commodities would be beneficial, but is not essential
Originating in 1878, Gafta is an international Trade Association with over 1400 members in 86 countries. The aim of the organisation is to promote international trade in grain, animal feed materials, pulses and rice and to protect the interests of its members worldwide, providing the support and international contacts they require.
In addition to protecting its members’ interests through standard forms of contract, Gafta provides an internationally respected dispute resolution service offering both arbitration and mediation to parties using these standard contracts.
Apply below by clicking on the Apply Now button or to find out more about the Head of Legal job contact Ashley King on Ashley.King@RobertWalters.com or call +44207509 8433 quoting the reference 2010110.