This job is no longer available
Eversheds is an award winning law firm with strong presence in Europe, Middle East and Asia Pacific.
The General Counsel team works with both lawyers and other colleagues around the business on a variety of projects aimed at managing the risks of doing business and ensuring we comply with our regulatory obligations.
As part of the Risk and Compliance function which reports to the General Counsel, the role will involve supporting the International Risk and Compliance Manager in the roll out of risk and compliance initiatives across the Eversheds international network as well as advising the international offices (LLP, EIL and affiliated offices) on a variety of risk and compliance related matters.
The Key Responsibilities
• Providing assistance to the IRCM in developing the annual International Compliance Plan.
• Assisting the due diligence and co-ordination of office launches and/or closures across Eversheds international network.
• Carrying out research as and when required on the jurisdictions in which we operate (including target jurisdictions) and reporting on local trends/current and future risks and other areas of interest.
• Helping with the co-ordination and management of the General Counsel’s team’s international activities timetable including international trips, quarterly compliance calls, project roll-outs etc.
• Providing inputs into the risk governance process.
• Supporting the IRCM with the review and updates to the firm’s policies, including working with others within the General Counsel’s team to facilitate the internationalisation of UK focussed policies and helping to develop new policies for the overseas offices.
• Researching various risk and compliance related issues such as financial sanctions, corruption issues in particular jurisdictions etc. and summarising the findings.
• Contributing to the annual review of EIL and affiliate firm offices against the applicable compliance framework and development plans. Preparing supporting documentation and reports to aid the review process.
• Establishing a network of contacts across the international network and pro-actively raising risk and compliance awareness and promoting a risk culture across the offices.
• Coordinating agendas for and participating in quarterly compliance calls alongside the IRCM as well as helping to take any actions required deriving from those calls.
• Advising on ad-hoc international queries and/or providing assistance to the IRCM in relation to such queries.
• Having responsibility for maintaining the firm’s International Structures Bible, effecting any changes on an as needed basis.
• Providing support to the General Counsel and IRCM with the roll out of the compliance frameworks for the EIL offices and affiliated firms.
• When required, travelling to overseas offices to assess risks arising at local level and the level of compliance with existing applicable compliance policies.
• Assisting with the development of guidance and stock responses to core issues, including co-ordinating the issue of communications where required.
• Helping to deliver Risk and Compliance training to the overseas network of offices, including contributing to the byte-sized e-learning modules being developed by the wider General Counsel’s team.
Skills and Experience
• Impressive attention to detail.
• A self-starter with a keen interest in international risk and compliance matters.
• Degree level educated
• Excellent commercial awareness coupled with a pragmatic attitude.
• Strong communication skills (both written and verbal)
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to distil vast amounts of information into high level summary reports/briefing.
• Proficiency in one or more foreign languages is highly desirable.
As part of your career at Eversheds, you will receive tailored professional development, the opportunity to work alongside an exceptional team and be supported by partners who specialise. You will be part of a firm that is recognised for innovation and forward thinking. If this sounds like a firm you want to be part of, apply now.