This job is no longer available
Clifford Chance is one of the world's leading law firms, helping clients achieve their goals by combining the highest global standards with local expertise. The firm has unrivalled scale and depth of legal resources across the three key markets of the Americas, Asia and Europe and focuses on the core areas of commercial activity: capital markets; corporate and M&A; finance and banking; real estate; tax; pensions and employment; litigation and dispute resolution.
Our Financial Regulatory group is an acknowledged market leader. Our work reflects the dynamism and volatility of today’s financial markets, where competitive edge is built on innovation, foresight and speed of delivery. Matters range from advising on regulatory capital issues on complex derivatives transactions to high-level strategic advice – we are experts in financial regulatory reform developments including EMIR, AIFMD and Basel III, exchange-traded derivatives, financial institution, private banking and asset management M&A, e-commerce and supranational and cross-border regulation. We advise global investment banks private banks, asset managers, exchanges and alternative trading systems, clearing, payment and settlement systems.
The group has been consistently ranked in the top tier in Chambers UK for "Financial Services: UK-wide":
• "Clifford Chance houses a deep bench of talented lawyers with experience in handling complex non-contentious and contentious matters, including FSA investigations brought against high-level individuals and companies. Particularly noted for its expertise in multi-jurisdictional matters, which is enhanced by the sharing of regulatory knowledge across the firm's global network." Chambers & Partners UK 2014: Financial Services: Non-contentious regulatory – Tier 1
• "Clifford Chance undoubtedly remains at the very pinnacle of the financial services market, with an incredible depth and breadth of experience and expertise, and a cadre of market-leading individuals. The firm can offer its sterling client list unrivalled resources, a comprehensive global network and the cutting-edge advice that the firm is justifiably known for." Chambers and Partners: Financial Services: Non-contentious Regulatory - UK-wide 2013 – Tier One
• "Clifford Chance is at the absolute forefront of financial services regulation and ramped up its international footprint in 2012 with the formation of a new US Financial Services Regulatory Group." The Financial News awards are unique as the winners are decided by an independent panel of industry practitioners across the finance and capital markets industry." Financial News.
The majority of our work is international. In addition to the cross-border deals which are our daily fare, at any moment we are usually working on two or three other multi-jurisdictional projects. Our group combines world-class regulatory expertise with top-ranked transactional and product-based capability.
We work with our clients – global financial institutions and financial market regulators – at the highest levels, assisting them in the development and implementation of new products and platforms and the assessment of the impact of regulatory change on businesses and models and implementation of new regulations. The insight, innovation and legal creativity which we bring to new financial products, business platforms and regulatory developments is fundamental to the outcome of our clients’ businesses.
Our market-leading experience continues to attract the most complex, challenging and ground-breaking deals to the firm. And this, in turn, has enabled us to attract some of the best and most ambitious lawyers to assist our clients and build one of the market’s leading, and most diverse, practices.
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000, the UK regulatory system, and the EU law-making process. An excellent academic record will have been complemented by demonstrable practical experience as a private practice lawyer who has advised banks, broker-dealers and other financial institutions on financial services law. The candidate must have strong research, organisational, drafting and communication skills, and be able to work independently. The candidate will be approachable and proactive, with a view to providing practical solutions for the UK's leading legal financial services team.
The role will involve:
• Creation of templates and practice notes
• Drafting client briefings
• Creation and overhaul of special knowhow collections
• Providing specialist guidance to frontline lawyers advising clients on transactions and projects
• Participation in knowledge groups
• Leading and advising on internal education and seminars.
(The role does not involve operating an enquiries service, organising business development or client events, or overseeing content of on-line services)
Experience and Qualifications
You will be a qualified lawyer with significant experience in the following areas:
• Bank and investment firm regulation under FSMA, the Banking Directive and MiFID
• The UK and EU regulatory systems, their institutions and rulebooks
• The EU and UK agendas for financial sector reform
• Authorisation and supervision of financial institutions
• Regulatory aspects of mergers and acquisitions of financial institutions
• Marketing and trading of financial instruments and market abuse
• Regulation of trading, clearing and settlement infrastructures
• Regulatory capital and prudential regulation
• Regulatory aspects of deposit-taking, lending and mortgages, client money, custody, payment services and cash management
• Failure of financial firms
(Not included in this list: UCITS/AIFMD, prospectus/listing, money laundering, enforcement, commodities/futures, collateral/netting/repo, EMIR/clearing = all (to be) looked after by other PSLs)
Experience and Qualifications
You will have first-class legal skills coupled with a commercial approach, along with excellent drafting and communication skills. You will be highly organised, have good attention to detail and be committed to providing a first class service to the Firm.
We offer a very attractive remuneration package paying commensurate to experience. This is a tremendous opportunity for a lawyer interested in professional support work in a global law firm.