This job is no longer available
The Real Estate Finance Transaction Manager reports to the Head of Product Finance and Structuring and works closely and primarily with the Commercial Real Estate (“CRE”) Lending team in the project management, negotiation and delivery of commercial real estate lending transactions and the management of a loan servicing operation. In addition, the Real Estate Finance Transaction Manager may be expected to work on additional and more general real estate transactional matters including, but not limited to, product, asset and other real estate legal matters.
Standard Life Investments is a leading asset manager with an expanding global reach and investment capabilities across a wide range of asset classes spanning equities, bonds, real estate, private equity, multi-asset solutions, fund-of-funds and absolute return strategies. Headquartered in Edinburgh and with offices in a number of locations around the world, Standard Life Investments manages over £167bn on behalf of clients worldwide. Real estate, as a component of this, represents approximately £12bn which is largely UK focussed but with growing investment and development exposure across the UK, Continental Europe, Asia Pacific and Canada.
Standard Life Investments has strategic aspirations to further diversify its sources of revenue and has identified a market opportunity to expand its real estate franchise and existing Canadian commercial real estate mortgage business (circa CAD$5bn) to include commercial real estate lending in the UK and potentially continental Europe. To this end, the business is looking to hire an experienced team and develop a UK based platform to deliver a suite of client led commercial real estate loan investment solutions.
Commercial Real Estate Lending Transaction Management
- Legal negotiation, documentation and execution of commercial real estate lending transactions.
- Develop and maintain pro forma legal documentation relevant to both commercial real estate lending and borrowing transactions.
- Work with tax and legal advisers to deliver and execute on various transactional matters, e.g. finance transactions, product launches.
- Work with legal advisers to prepare legal documentation reflecting the commercial objectives of a transaction, ensuring documentation complies with internal policies/procedures and industry/regulatory/tax requirements as appropriate.
- Working with the Head of Commercial Real Estate Lending and the Head of Product Finance & Structuring to ensure transactions are delivered in an efficient and effective risk controlled manner.
- Working with the Head of Product Finance & Structuring to deliver strategic legal solutions for the commercial real estate lending platform, including the provision of third party funds and new market offerings (e.g. ex-UK mandates).
- Maintain an awareness of the internal approval and communication processes for CREL transactions, asset structuring and product proposals and facilitate the necessary internal approvals, including drafting/co-ordinating/contributing to relevant papers.
- Keep the Head of Product Finance & Structuring, PF&S colleagues and Real Estate colleagues up to date on legal matters affecting commercial real estate loan transactions and ensure appropriate checklists and documentation are maintained.
- To monitor the lending regulatory environment and the impact of any changes on the loan portfolio, clients and Standard Life Investments and to opine on and/or propose solutions where appropriate.
Commercial Real Estate Loan Servicing
- Oversight of SLI’s third party commercial real estate loan servicing provider and acting as the first point of contact for immediate loan servicing matters.
- Responsibility for any immediate commercial or legal issues arising as a result of the loan servicing relationship.
- Working with the external loan service provider to provide day to day solutions to the loan servicing function.
General PF&S Transactional Work
- Legal negotiation and execution of real estate fund or asset transactional matters.
- Working with other members of the PF&S team to design and deliver transactional solutions that meet the commercial objectives of the business and the funds’ target investors.
- Have responsibility for intercompany loan arrangements for third party real estate products.
- Developing, maintaining and communicating a detailed knowledge of legal & regulatory change and its impact on the Real Estate business.
- Work with the Head of Product Finance & Structuring and other PF&S colleagues to develop a focused, professional transaction management offering to key internal stakeholders.
- Ensure effective procurement and appointment of best in class professional advisers, strong service delivery and value for money.
- Ensure compliance with all Group and CRE Lending policies and procedures at all times.
Experience, Qualifications and Skills
- A graduate admitted to practice as a qualified lawyer in England & Wales with circa 7-10 years PQE
- In depth knowledge of the commercial and legal aspects of commercial real estate lending transactions.
- Good knowledge of legal matters relating to commercial real estate fund structuring.
- Strong understanding of the loan servicing role in a lending context.
- In depth practical knowledge of commonly used real estate lending and fund structures.
- Understanding of corporate and insolvency law principles as they relate to real estate lending transactions and good corporate governance.
- Practical knowledge of real estate fund operational matters/issues.
- Practical knowledge of accounting and finance.
- Knowledge of FCA/PRA Regulations and Corporate Governance in a real estate context.
- Ability to understand key finance law principles with regards to bilateral, syndicate and secured lending.
- Ability to explain technical concepts in understandable terms.
- Willingness to use legal skill set outside of the comfort zone, e.g. applying legal training to new areas.
- The ability to ‘think outside the box’, anticipate/identify problems and opportunities, and propose solutions.
- The ability to communicate effectively with and present to internal stakeholders (peers, fund managers and senior management), external stakeholders (SPV/Fund Directors) and investors/clients.
- A demonstrable track record for balancing benefit delivered against cost and risk.
- The ability to think and act strategically as well as having an eye for detail;
- A quick learner capable of assimilating and commercialising technical knowledge and information.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and productive; a strong team player.
- Strong written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management, and staff.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Language skills an advantage.
To apply for this position, please click on the Apply Now button using ADV356477SLI1