Training Contract/Vacation Schemes
About Weil Gotshal
Main areas of work
Private equity is the cornerstone of the London office, with the firm ranked in the top tier of Chambers UK for buyouts with more partners ranked at the top of the individual rankings than any other firm. The establishment of our London funds practice, linking in with our well-established US and Asian teams, provides clients with full coverage for both raising and investing funds.
Our restructuring practice is widely recognized as one of the leading practices in its field, referred to as “the gold standard of bankruptcy bar” (The American Lawyer). The firm has been at the forefront of the credit crisis, advising global financial institutions such as Lehman Brothers, AIG, General Motors, and Kaupthing, as well as providing integrated crisis management advice. Our restructuring expertise in the US and Europe has also enabled us to provide corporate and private equity clients with cutting-edge advice on the current markets, how best to weather the current storms and prepare for opportunities in the distressed M&A markets.
We advise on all aspects of domestic and cross-border transactional and general corporate issues, including acquisitions and disposals, corporate governance, demergers and re-organisations, equity capital markets, joint ventures, public and private mergers and strategic alliances.
Full-service transactional support is provided by specialists in the fields of commercial contracts, competition, employment/employee benefits, environment, IP/IT, pensions, real estate and tax.
We have an international finance practice which continues to be among the very best practices in London, and spans asset finance, acquisition finance (including bank / bond financing structures), bank and institutional lending, debt capital markets (including high yield), derivatives, lease financings, refinancings and recapitalisations, and structured finance.
Few firms can match the quality and depth of Weil’s experience in litigation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution. The London dispute resolution team advises upon, manages and conducts all aspects of domestic and international litigation, from strategic advice during the early stages of negotiations to courtroom advocacy.
The London office also works closely with cross-disciplinary teams across the firm on a wide range of industry specialisms, including energy, healthcare, infrastructure and TMT.
Rise to the challenge, daily
- Working one to one. Working closely with partners and other senior lawyers, you'll develop important relationships, learn from seeing experienced lawyers in action, gain experience in a wide variety of areas, and maintain high visibility.
- Learning from leaders. Our lawyers enjoy mentoring trainees, developing their legal skills and commercial judgement. You'll share an office with either a partner or senior associate, and share their workload. You select a mentor to support and coach you on non-transactional issues. The Training Principal and the Graduate Recruitment Manager are always at hand should you need further support and advice.
- Constantly evolving training. Our regular programme of topical and standard training is designed to foster a spirit of teamwork and innovation, changing, as it does, to meet fee earners’ needs in the commercial arena.
- Variety as standard. You'll learn in different formats of activity, being invited to seminars, workshops, associate programmes, lunches and days away, with the emphasis on practical, interactive sessions.
- Complementary expertise. Qualified lawyers present regular training sessions covering a wide range of topics, designed specifically for trainees.
- A wealth of support material. A video/dvd library and knowledge databases of past training sessions.
- A comprehensive induction. This sets the initial tone and offers a steady foundation with a valuable introduction to Weil Gotshal, our London Office and your department, which will also include IT training, professional standards and compliance training, and an introduction to all support teams.
We regularly offer 6-month trainee secondments to our New York and Silicon Valley offices. We also offer secondments to our other European offices, usually on an ad hoc basis. Trainee secondments are awarded carefully based on merit and performance, and the candidate's ability to be an ambassador for the London office.
- Financial Assistance: full GDL and LPC fees paid, and £8,000 p.a. maintenance
- Number of Training Contract Vacancies: up to 14 each year. We are currently recruiting for September 2015. Apply online by clicking on the button above. Starting salary for trainees is £41,000.
- Summer and spring vacation schemes available (each for 2 weeks). Please apply on-line at www.weil.com/ukrecruiting. We pay £400 per week.